Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Food!

On Sunday, Adriana got her first...well, "solids" doesn't seem like the right word, as it wasn't very solid. And "food other than breastmilk" isn't quite right, either, as I mixed the cereal with milk so that it would taste familiar. But anyhow, she got her first cereal over the weekend, and it was a ton of fun watching her experiment with the spoon and react to the taste and feeling of the cereal.


baby eating cereal


I'd been reluctant to start Adriana on solids. I was determined to wait until six months to make sure she was really ready, although some of my friends, I think, didn't quite get why I was waiting. Honestly, it took me awhile to figure out while I was waiting too. I mean, part of it was logistical: I knew that it would take time and make a mess, and I wanted to wait until we were settled into our new place before getting involved. But I realized that I was also nervous about what it meant for nursing. I love nursing her, and I was afraid of losing that relationship. It turns out that a couple of tablespoons of rice cereal doesn't much interfere with nursing, and I think that's just the way it should be. Eventually she'll eat more solid foods and slowly wean, but it's going to be a long process that will give us both a chance to adjust. And I think trying her out on some avocado tomorrow is going to be all kinds of fun. By which I mean a big, slimy, green mess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a big step, and so exciting to watch them grow. My daughter always loved her cereal.

best home teeth whitener