Wednesday, May 02, 2012

To market, to market...

...to buy no fat pigs. Although I could probably get one there if I wanted. We are lucky to have an excellent farmers' market in Mountain View. We started going pretty much every weekend as soon as we moved here five years, and now nearly all our produce comes from there (bananas and mangoes are notable exceptions), along with our eggs, bread, and some cheese. And cookies. The best macaroons in the world are available for purchase every Sunday morning in Mountain View, just in case you were wondering.

This week, Adriana had a birthday party and our cupboards were bare, as we’d just returned from a three week holiday the previous afternoon, so I biked Lyra over to the farmers’ market, where I bought:

  • 2 pounds zucchini
  • 2 bunches asparagus
  • 1 bunch carrots
  • one big bag of peas
  • 4 artichokes
  • 2 bunches asparagus
  • 1 pound bag of salad greens
  • 6 apples
  • 3 baskets of strawberries
  • 4 sweet potatoes
  • 6 yellow onions
  • 4 lemons
  • 6 avocados
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 loaf of whole wheat sandwich bread
  • 1 baguette
  • 2 kinds of cheese
  • 1 quart sheep's milk yogurt
  • 1 bunch basil
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 bunch parsley

As I piled the groceries into my bike trailer I thought I'd bought most of what we needed for the week (along with a few things from the grocery store--cereal and beans, among other things). But I think I forgot how to shop while we were away. Either that, or my kids are just extra hungry this week. It's Wednesday night, and I have left 3 avocados (the ones that were nowhere near ripe, which I picked so they would last through the week), one cucumber, half the salad greens, a lemon, and an onion. I still have most of the eggs and sandwich bread, as well as the yogurt, which I'm using slowly because it's seriously expensive (but it’s awesome and it has a very short season, so I had to buy it this once).

I'm going to have to go to the supermarket tomorrow for fruits and vegetables. And I’m sulking because I know they won’t be as good as what I got over the weekend. I think this might be the very definition of first world problems.

No comments: