Monday, March 19, 2007

Feminism, baby

Adriana is the only baby girl in our mom-and-baby yoga class, and last week she was also the only baby who was pretty quiet. I held her in my lap as she gazed around at the other people in the room. She would smile when people would smile at her, but she wasn't kicking and waving and cooing as much as the other babies. One of the other moms commented that girls are so much quieter and sweeter than boys. The other women agreed. Baffled--she's only two months old!--I explained that Adriana had been up for a couple of hours already and was just sleepy.

At the end of the class, someone else looked at Adriana stretched out on the blanket in front of me and asked how long she was. Twenty-four inches, I told her.

"Aw, what a tall girl! Are you going to be America's next top model sweetheart?" she cooed at my baby.

"Or a basketball player," I responded without stopping to think.

I'm thinking about getting one of these shirts for Adriana to wear to class soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely get the shirt!

People always comment on how high energy my son is, and say, "He's all boy." I tell them that my mom says I was just as energetic.

Elizabeth said...

Those "all boy" comments bother me, too, when I hear them. But even though it bugs me when I hear people say it about their kids, it drives me absolutely insane when they say it about their dogs.

Anonymous said...

Good thing the shirts come in 9m and 12m sizes....considering how fast she is growing. Would she look cute in that on an NCAA court this month?