Sunday, March 07, 2010

Once upon a pair of wheels: an addition to Lyra's birth story

As we were driving over Highway 17 on our way to Año Nuevo to see the elephant seals, I reminded Brian that the speed limit past the reservoir is only 50 miles per hour, even though the road is wide and not too windy there. As he eased up on the accelerator, I apologized for my backseat driving, and he told me that that kind of reminder is a good thing. So I confessed that on the way to the hospital to have Lyra, I had really had to force myself not to backseat drive. Because as we'd headed up 101, there hadn't been a ton of traffic, but the two right lanes hadn't been moving as quickly as they might have, and I had spent the time between contractions wondering why he just didn't move over and get there faster. He explained that he'd been nervous and Eva had been following us in her car, and it seemed better to move a little slower.

"I kind of knew that. That's part of why I didn't say anything at the time. And also because I was pretty sure I couldn't say it nicely, so I just kept my mouth shut."

"Okay, you have to add this to the birth story," he told me.f

"You mean admit that I always want to be a backseat driver, even when I'm in labor?"

"Yes."

Consider it done.

No comments: